New for 2018: Platinum Level Recognition
For the 2018 Gold Star Standards of Excellence awards program, we will be adding a recognition level to continue to encourage hospitals to adopt policies with comprehensive language and continue to implement procedures that support the promotion of tobacco-free lifestyles.
For hospitals to meet the new Platinum Level the organization must meet all 10 standards with policies and procedures that explicitly include the following:
- A definition of smoking
- Example: Smoking means inhaling, exhaling, burning or carrying any lighted or heated cigar, cigarette, pipe, hookah or joint intended for inhalation that contains tobacco or any other plant product intended for inhalation, including marijuana, whether natural or synthetic in any manner or in any form. Smoking also includes the use of an electronic nicotine delivery systems or e-cigarettes which creates an aerosol or vapor.
- Examples of prohibited products that includes electronic smoking devices and/or other vapor products
- Example: Tobacco is defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, little cigars, cigarillos, bidis, kreteks; all smokeless and dissolvable tobacco products, including but not limited to, dip, spit/spit-less, chew, snuff, snus and nasal tobacco; and any product intended to mimic tobacco, containing tobacco flavoring or delivering nicotine, including but not limited to, electronic nicotine delivery systems, e-cigarettes, e-cigars, e-hookahs, vape pen or any other product name or descriptor. This does not include products specifically approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the purpose of cessation or nicotine replacement therapy.
- A prohibition of smoking and tobacco use in vehicles, parking lots and in personal vehicles parked on hospital grounds
- Example: Smoking and tobacco use is prohibited in all [Hospital] owned, leased or rented vehicles, on or off [Hospital] grounds. Smoking and tobacco use is also prohibited in all personal vehicles parked on [Hospital] owned, leased and affiliated property.
- A prohibition of smoking and tobacco use at all locations where hospital employees work
- Example: Smoking and tobacco use is prohibited in all [Hospital] owned, leased, satellite, and affiliated buildings and on the grounds where any [Hospital] employees work.
- Promotion and support for tobacco education and/or continuing medical educational (CME) opportunities for hospital staff
- Example: Evidence-based tobacco education and/or CME opportunities (i.e. webinar participation, attendance at on-site trainings, off-site trainings or conferences, etc.) are promoted and supported by the hospital annually. Additionally, literature and resources are readily available to staff.
Resources to help